Step by step guide to 7 homemade mouthwash recipes
Did you ever think about what your mouthwash contains and did you know that you could prepare your own ?
These questions motivated us to create this post.
Those two questions are exactly why we decided to do this post for you. We looked into many and varied mouthwash recipes so they would be suitable for everyone. Besides, these recipes contain good ingredients, and they are easy to make at home.
1) Classic Mouthwash: one cup water, one teaspoon baking soda, and three drops peppermint essential oils. Mix the ingredients in a jar and shake well. Clean your mouth, spit it out then place it in your bathroom cabinet.
2) Hydrogen Peroxide Mouthwash: 1 part hydrogen peroxide mixed with 1 part water. Mix it properly for a single use and use extra solution. Clean your mouth then spit it out.
3) Disinfectant Mouthwash: 1 cup water and 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar. Combine ingredients then keep it in a glass jar. Before using make sure to shake well. Clean your mouth, spit it out then place it on the bathroom counter.
4) Herbal Mouthwash: Make an herbal infusion out of two cups of boiling water, 1/2 ounce of whole cloves, 1 ounce of Oregon grape root, 1 ounce of rosemary. Mix this in a mason jar and leave it overnight. You must strain the plants from the infusion using a cheesecloth.
Wash your mouth then spit it out. Make sure you keep the mouthwash in a glass jar and store it in a cool place. This mixture will last for approximately one week.
5) Essential Oil Mouthwash: You will need 1 cup of water, 20 drops of either cinnamon, clove, wintergreen or tea tree oil. Make sure to keep it in a glass jar and shake well prior using properly to mix the essential oils. You can keep it on your bathroom shelf.
6) For an Antiseptic Homemade Mouthwash you will need:4 ounces (120 ml) peppermint hydrosol
4 ounces (120 ml) herbal infusion with echinacea angustifoliate root, sage leaves, and peppermint leaves
One teaspoon (5 ml) thyme extract
Two teaspoons (10 ml) myrrh gum extract
5-10 drops 100% mint flavor extract
After getting the measurements right, combine the elements in a mason jar and don't forget to shake well in order to blend and before you use it daily. You can keep this mix on the bathroom counter, and it doesn't require refrigeration. Just use it to clean your mouth then spit it out.
Myrrh gum is a powerful antiseptic. It is usually used as an anti-inflammatory factor, especially, in case of gum diseases.
7) Whitens and RemineralizesTwo teaspoons calcium carbonate powder
One teaspoon xylitol crystals
Ten drops concentrated trace minerals liquid
Ten drops peppermint essential oil
Five drops lemon essential oil (or chamomile oil)
Five drops spearmint essential oil
Two cups of filtered water
These ingredients makeup a solution of about 16 oz., which means you will use it at least 15-30 times.
Add the calcium powder and xylitol crystals in a mixing cup then blend them together. Over this mixture add essential oils, liquid minerals and water then stir.
Pour the mixture in a glass bottle, shut it tight and shake the content for 30-60 seconds until the xylitol dissolves. Also make sure to shake well before using it and keep in the fridge for two weeks.
What are the benefits of the ingredients stated above?
For demineralized teeth, calcium carbonate powder and concentrated trace minerals help restore the strength. Xylitol crystals add a bit of sweetness to the mix and also provide cavity protection while peppermint and spearmint essential oils create a fresh breath.
As for making your teeth brighter and whiter, lemon essential oil is the main ingredient that helps take the stains out and makes the teeth appear brighter.